Used successfully for over 40 years, Clariant’s Octopirox® is now one of the leading and most effective anti-dandruff active ingredients available on the market. It is an ingredient that’s generally considered non-irritating and non-allergenic and has been specifically designed to combat all causes of dandruff and dry scalp.
Not only does Octopirox® target the direct cause of dandruff and control microorganism growth, it also offers good compatibility, pH and temperature stability, has a long shelf life, low aquatic toxicity and is so simple to formulate with. It offers good solubility in alcohol/water mixtures and aqueous surfactant systems, which therefore makes it an ideal ingredient for clear formulations.
In addition, this ingredient doubles as a preserving agent, making it multi-functional, and is compatible with the majority of active ingredients, surfactants and additives used in cosmetic formulations.
- INCI name: Piroctone Olamine
- Comes in a powder form
- pH range of 4.0–10.0
- < 80°C maximum temperature
- The use level for leave on applications (hair gels, hair pomades etc) 0.05 to 0.1%
- The use level for antidandruff shampoo’s 0.3% to 1.0% ( 1% is the maximum use level in shampoo systems)
- The use level for antiperspirants and anti-acne 0.1% to 0.3% .
Octopirox® is highly beneficial for many anti-dandruff and anti-itch hair care formulations, such as shampoos, hair tonics and cream rinses, and is particularly appropriate for clear formulations. It is also suitable for many deodorants and anti-acne products.
- Dandruff, itch and flake-free
- Gentle on the scalp
- Long shelf life
- Good compatibility
- Non-toxic and generally considered safe, non-irritating and non-allergenic
- Broad spectrum preservation
- Environmentally friendly
Formulating with Octopirox®
If you’d like more information about this leading anti-dandruff ingredient from Clariant, please fill out the contact form below and a member of our technical team will be in touch with formulation advice and recommendations. Be sure to ask us about our samples too! In addition, you can also visit the Clariant website for more information about Octopirox®.